Week 8: RANMA 1/2!!

For me, that would be Rumiko Takahashi’s Ranma 1/2. It was the anime that launched my love for “Japanese cartoons.” And I actually find it kind of sad that a lot of anime fanatics nowadays seem to not know it even exists. I watched it actually a long time ago and even thought there are a lot of episodes, I can still write a small review of what I remember. Ranma 1/2 is about Ranma Saotome, a boy who has been trained in the Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts style by his father, Genma, ever since he was a boy. During a training expedition to the cursed springs of Jusenkyo, Ranma falls into the Spring of Drowned Girl and now, whenever he gets splashed with cold water, he turns into a girl while hot water turns him back into a boy. Throughout the series, Ranma gets into all sorts of messes and encounters all sort of characters who either want to date him or beat him up. I pretty much like all of the supporting characters as each and everyone has their own quirks that makes them stand out. Amonmg the male characters, my favorite would definitely be the rather dense, egotistical upperclassman and the “Blue Thunder of Furinken High” Tatewaki Kuno. It’s just plain fun for him to be in love with the female version of Ranma, who he calls the “pigtailed girl,” and is unable to conceive that “she” is actually his greatest rival.  For the females, it’s kind of hard to choose because they all have their good points but, if I did have to choose, it would probably be Ukyo just edging out Shampoo. She does appear much later in the series but I like how she’s a tomboy, incredibly independent and confident than the rest of the cast. As much as I love Shampoo’s more flirtatious personality, Ukyo’s rather strong sense of will makes her my favorite of all of Ranma’s fiancees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog